Repo Attempt Leads to Armed Standoff

chelmsfrd_stndoffChelmsford, MA – 28 April, 2015 – An armed suspect surrendered peacefully to Chelmsford police and a SWAT team from the Northeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council early this morning after a more than three-hour standoff.

Police said they were called to a home at 4 Piccadilly Circle in Chelmsford about 9 p.m., after a Team of Repossessors from Vermont went to the home to repossess a purple 2010 Dodge Challenger which was spotted in the driveway. After knocking on the front door for keys and allowing the borrower to get his property yielded no results, the Repo Men noticed loud music coming from the garage, they knocked on it announcing who they were and their intention to repossess, 36 year old Jason Cleghorn opened the garage door and emerged with a gun leveled at them.

The Repo Men then allegedly told Cleghorn not to shoot and retreated to their truck where they called police.

The owner, Jason Cleghorn, retreated into the home when police arrived, and remained holed up inside with his girlfriend and her adult son, according to Chief James Spinney.

During the three hour standoff, Cleghorn allegedly was “ranting and raving” about his rights having been violated and that any attempt to arrest him would be met with his Glock and hollow points.clghrn

Instead of forcing their way inside the home and risking a violent confrontation, police setup a perimeter and called for backup from NEMLEC, which sent a SWAT team and negotiator. NEMLEC staged at the fire house on Old Westford Road before riding to the scene in armored vehicles.

Spinney said the woman and her son were not threatened by the suspect and were not considered hostages since they expressed a desire to remain in the home. The suspect surrendered without further incident about 12:20 a.m.

No one was injured. “After several hours of talking to the negotiator, he finally came to the front door, unarmed, and surrendered,” Spinney said. Spinney said police were still at the scene early Tuesday morning as the investigation continued.

Cleghorn was charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and other charges and pleaded not guilty to assault with a deadly weapon and related charges. Cleghoorn is held on $25,000 bail.

His defense attorney argued that the repo men were supposed to contact local police once they arrived in town and were trespassing on private property.

Print Friendly

4 Responses to "Repo Attempt Leads to Armed Standoff"

  • Profile photo of Russ
    Russ says:
  • Profile photo of Linda Manasa
    Linda Manasa says:
  • Profile photo of nwrepo
    nwrepo says:
Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

13 visitors online now
7 guests, 6 bots, 0 members
Max visitors today: 79 at 06:51 am UTC
This month: 138 at 08-04-2017 10:22 am UTC
This year: 138 at 08-04-2017 10:22 am UTC
All time: 307 at 07-02-2014 03:18 pm UTC
Skip to toolbar